[MOBY-dev] small change in granularity along the text-plain branch

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Fri Sep 12 23:36:40 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I've just made a small change in granularity along the text-plain branch
of the Object ontology that will help make client design a little
easier.  I noticed today while building the new Gbrowse MOBY Client that
i couldn't distinguish between a Sequence string, in which the
formatting of the text has no meaning, and a Blast report, where it has
a LOT of meaning.  I have stuck in a new object type "text-formatted"
that inherits from "text-plain", and now the various blast reports and
other common flatfile formats will inherit from that while sequences and
such will continue to inherit from text-plain.  This will allow me to
assign different renderers to things that are formatted versus things
that are not.

so... if you are planning to register flatfile-type objects, please keep
this in mind.  I'm going to register the Genbank and EMBL flatfile
formats right now because I need them!

cheers!

Mark

--