[MOBY-dev] Rules for I/O choices

Ken Steube steube at sdsc.edu
Fri Oct 17 11:37:04 EDT 2003

So I remember you guys talking about how you should choose the type of
object to register as your output object. Check out these two rules and
tell me if you think I've said it adequately.

Rule: A service should be registered to input the simplest data object
that it consistently consumes

Example: Can take Protein or GenericSequence, register to take
GenericSequence

Rule: A service should be registered to output the most complex data
object that it consistently produces

Example: Can return Protein or DNA, register to return GenericSequence

Ken

Ken Steube            steube at sdsc.edu
San Diego Supercomputer Center @ UCSD
San Diego, California             USA