[MOBY-dev] The winds of change are a-blowin'!

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Feb 14 13:16:45 UTC 2003

I am very pleased to hear about new changes - they all look exciting. And
I am sure that we will use the nearest opportunity (the Singapore one) to
discuss them further.

Here is one other thing to consider - the one coming from the discussion
with Phil Lord (myGrid): notification. What I understood from what he
explained to me is this:

In the future, there may be more ways how to query the BioMoby repository.
Some of them may rely of additional data that are not necessarilly stored
directly within BiMoby repository (for example a semantically richer
repository may accept queries defined in a ontology-specific query
language which is not supported directly by BioMOby). This may look like a
plug-in architecture in order to extend the BioMoby features - and it is,
indeed. However, in order to allow seamless synchronization of such
"plug-ins" it would make sense if BioMoby registry can accept
subscriptions and later, when the repository contents changes, notify
subscribers about the changes. Such notification may be welcome not only
by another repositories to synchronize with a central moby but also for
the "normal" clients which can seamlessly incorporate newly registered
services, etc.

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger