[GSoC] generative biolearn project, further steps

Michael Crusoe michael.crusoe at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 10:53:48 UTC 2020

On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 3:41 PM Anton Kulaga <antonkulaga at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you very much for accepting my project idea suggestion, I am already
> getting messages/emails from students.

You are very welcome, and I'm glad to hear about the quick response!

> I discovered (some of the students complained) that I forgot to put my
> contact email to the project description, could you please update the
> project description? (I put emails as suggestions in your google doc).

I don't have permission to update the website, but I believe Sarthak does.

> Also, could you please clarify the further steps in GSOC?

Here's the GSoC 2020 timeline
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline

> From what I understood:
> * right now we (as mentors) talk with students, interview them and best of
> the students write detailed applications of what they do in our projects

Most importantly, the students successfully submit their proposals to
Google.

> * OBF requests slots (how many students will get funded) and OBF admins
> make final decisions who of the students will get funded

First the potential mentors and the admins review all the OBF student
applications and assign them scores in a spreadsheet. Then we collectively
decided who we approve (with the consent of their potential mentors) and
convert that into a number of slots to request from Google.

Once Google grants us a number of slots it is then a race to select
students (who may also have proposals with other organizations). If a
student is not available we are free to use that slot for another proposal,
if agreed by the future mentors and the OBF GSoC admins.

> Do I get it right? I wonder how many slots can the project have, what are
> the limitations? What is the process of the final selection of students by
> OBF Admins, how is it done?

There is no formal maximum to the number of slots, but we will be penalized
in the future based upon the performance of our students, and if we request
more slots than we can fill.

Final selection is usually easy and straight forward: we assign the slots
to the previously agreed upon students as long as their potential mentors
are still in agreement.

> Also, I noticed that you have "Feel free to propose your own entirely new
> idea." , in such case can we write in the end of our project description
> that we will be grateful for any bioinformatic/ML project ideas ( even not
> directly connected with generative biolearn) that will be beneficial for
> biology of aging research?

Yes, please suggest that text in the Google doc.

--
Michael R. Crusoe