[GSoC] GSOC OBF & GMOD

Pjotr Prins pjotr2014 at thebird.nl
Thu Feb 27 21:04:32 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 07:46:01PM +0000, Fields, Christopher J wrote:
> Ah yes, but then I believe Amelia?s point is whether this is something that the Biojavascript folks (who aren?t officially one of the OBF Bio* but have been accepted as their own GSoC org) might be a better fit.  Which very well could be ?yes? depending on their view of things.  Maybe someone can reach out to them and ask?

If you read the BioJS paper, you'll see that they are mostly working
on visualisation components for the browser.

We are talking Client-server here - different ball game. If we were to
start a serious project in Javascript we should talk about that. We
should not fear mixing programming languages. We have gotten beyond
that point by now. I currently write code in Ruby, D, Python and
Javascript. Apparently LISP I can't get around either. I don't think I
am that special. Main thing is to find mentors that take an active
interest in maintaining such a code base. Without a mentor we won't
get anywhere.

Javascript + Nodejs makes a pretty enticing server environment, these
days. And more and more students are learning Javascript before Perl
or Python. Now if there is an eager mentor...

Pj.