[GSoC] reminder: final evaluations due Friday

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 24 01:59:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Robert Buels <rmb32 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Students, your projects should now be finished.  Students, please make sure
> you have updated your progress pages with concluding entries and final
> thoughts.  I hope you all enjoyed your summer and learned a lot! Please make
> sure you've given your mentors a BIG thank-you, they have some of the
> hardest jobs in GSoC.
>
> Mentors, final evaluations are due by this Friday, August 26.  Thanks so
> much for your work, it means a lot.  Especially to the students.
>
> Everybody, if you have suggestions or feedback for what aspects of the
> program worked well this year, which things didn't work so well, or things
> we should add for next year, I'm always interested to hear them!  Just drop
> me an email at this same address.
>
> Thank you so much for everything you've done this summer, and here's to many
> more successful years of OBF GSoC in the future!
>
> Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your hard work again this year.

In terms of feedback for the OBF GSoC 2011, my main
observation is that overall it seems there has been less
interaction with the students and the respective community
mailing lists. I have been reassured by mentors, wiki
updates, and code commits that work is going on, but
for next year I think we should insist up front from the
start that students are expected to send a weekly email
report of what they have been doing to the appropriate
mailing list of the host project (e.g. biopython-dev or
bioperl-l), and perhaps CC'd to our GSoC mailing list.
Otherwise it has been hard for non-mentors to follow
what is happening.

This is not intended as a personal criticism of anyone -
just something I think we could do better next year.

Regards,

Peter