[EMBOSS] shuffleseq for multifasta?

Peter Rice ricepeterm at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 9 09:02:57 UTC 2018

Hi Anand,

As we found when we wrote EMBOSS, "FASTA format" is actually hard to
define. The problem is the many ways you can define the ID, and the
other information on the first line (it is amazing how much information
you can encode in a simple description).

Our solution was to define a set of formats that all read FASTA files,
but parse the first line in different ways, for example "ncbi format"
tries to read the NCBI database and id syntax.

We added a format to read the sequence ID as-is for really awkward
cases, and in honour of the author of FASTA we called it "pearson"

So, if you add -sformat pearson it should read the full IDs up to the
first space. If you re-read the output, you should use -sf pearson again
(-sf is just short for -sformat)

Hope that helps.

Peter Rice
ricepeterm at yahoo.co.uk