[EMBOSS] EMBOSS website and download

Hamish McWilliam hpm at bioinfo-user.org.uk
Thu Jul 14 09:40:30 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

The EMBOSS mirror at EMBL-EBI:

ftp://ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/software/unix/EMBOSS/

Is mirrored from the Open-bio site and thus replicates its content, even if
it is older releases. The updated release posted yesterday afternoon was
replicated this morning.

In the past I have used the patched distributions provided by Debian when
really stuck, for example:

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/emboss

See the tarballs under the "Download Source Package emboss" on the right.

For those who prefer RPMs a check on rpmfind.net reveals that Fedora
includes EMBOSS 6.6.0, so the source RPM from there would likely do or the
archived tarballs:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/repo/pkgs/EMBOSS/

As would the distribution archive used by FreeBSD:
http://ftp.tw.freebsd.org/distfiles/emboss/

As noted in a previous thread it would be useful to see a list of mirrors
on the EMBOSS web pages so users have options when the main site is
misbehaving.

All the best,

Hamish

On 13 July 2016 at 14:24, Hervé MENAGER <herve.menager at pasteur.fr> wrote:

> Thank you so much Peter. Please keep us updated :)
> Best regards,
> Hervé

----
"Saying the internet has changed dramatically over the last five years is
cliché – the internet is always changing dramatically" - Craig Labovitz,
Arbor Networks.