[EMBOSS] EMBOSS mirror sites?

Hamish McWilliam hpm at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jul 22 14:51:46 UTC 2014

Hi Peter,

> I spoke to Peter Rice by phone a few weeks back and as I recall
> he thought the EBI mirrors were handling things OK... but might
> you be interested in volunteering to help out with the EMBOSS
> FTP site etc?

The EMBL-EBI mirror (ftp://ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/software/unix/EMBOSS/)
helps since it has the source distributions for the current release.
However it does not mirror the whole EMBOSS distribution site. In
particular it does not contain the archive of old releases or the
mEMBOSS distribution.

In most cases the BioStar community has been pointing users towards the
EMBL-EBI mirror or distribution specific per-compiled packages. However
in the case of mEMBOSS it appears that no one is aware of a source of
the distribution other than emboss.open-bio.org. Thus my question about
other mirrors of the EMBOSS distributions.

The other issue here is that while users are looking for EMBOSS, the
main site is unavailable and the SourceForge site does not provide
pointers to the EMBL-EBI mirror (see
http://emboss.sourceforge.net/download/), or any other mirrors. Thus it
would be helpful to have a list of mirrors somewhere (I was thinking
about using an archived version of this thread) to point users towards.

As for assistance with the EMBOSS FTP site, I am not sure what we could
do to help out?

All the best,

Hamish

> CC'ing root-l mailing list to remind our existing small team of
> volunteer SysAdmins there is an open problem here.
>
> My hunch is these EMBOSS bits were on our old portal server
> which was also hosting the mailing lists, and had to be ported
> to a new Amazon server at short notice last month:

> (The good news is we do have a backup of the dead old server.)
>
> Peter
>
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Hamish McWilliam <hpm at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Due to the problems with the EMBOSS web and FTP sites at Open-Bio, many
>> users are having difficulty getting the EMBOSS distribution. For example:
>>
>> * https://www.biostars.org/p/107228/
>> * https://www.biostars.org/p/103557/
>> * https://www.biostars.org/p/107092/
>>
>> So in order to help these folks out...
>>
>> Does anyone have a list of mirror sites for the EMBOSS FTP site?
>>
>> Is there any chance of the EMBOSS folks publishing the current release
>> distribution via the EMBOSS SourceForge site
>> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/emboss/files/)?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Hamish

Mr Hamish McWilliam,
Web Production,
European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI),
European Molecular Biology Laboratory,
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus,
Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SD
United Kingdom