[EMBOSS] Bug in Dotmatcher

Peter Rice ricepeterm at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 23 11:44:54 UTC 2014

On 23/01/2014 10:49, David Leader wrote:
> I realize that EMBOSS is no longer funded and that the people that support it do so voluntarily.
> Hence I can guess why a bug report I submitted to emboss-bug at emboss.open-bio.org (and followed up) was not answered.
> However I use EMBOSS in teaching Bioinformatics because the Unix command-line interface is 'good' for the students, and they can write scripts to pipeline programs, so I'd like to try to follow this up. I think there is a bug in the current version of Dotmatcher:
>
> The current version of dotmatcher labels the axes incorrectly.
>
> I have an older version of EMBOSS (version number: 5.0.0) running under SunOS 5.8 where it labels the axes correctly.
> This machine is about to be retired so for teaching I switched to:
> Running  EMBOSS version number: 6.5.7.0 on a newer Unix box running Linux version 3.8.8-server-1.mga3. However here the axis labels are reversed, incorrectly. (I am sure of this because of their length and result).
>
> All done with exactly the same files on the command line with exactly the same commands one after another.
>
> Is this a known bug? Can it be fixed?

Yes, it is a known bug and on my (relatively short) list of things to
do. Not sure when it was introduced as I thought we had 'fixed' this
several releases ago. Maybe that fix was the wrong way round? I will check.

I am rather tied up with annual reporting and a major development effort
on my current project at Imperial, but will get on to these in February.
Apologies for the delay.

The fix will almost certainly be to swap the gxtitle and gytitle
settings for both graphs in emboss/acd/dotmatcher.acd

EMBOSS Team