[EMBOSS] ftp server down?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 10 08:44:01 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Hamish McWilliam <hpm at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Just FYI: For the past few hours, the emboss ftp server seems to be down.
>>
>> Also, are there any mirrors?
>
> I am aware of two mirrors for the EMBOSS distribution:

> In my experience the main EMBOSS FTP server (ftp://emboss.open-bio.org/) is
> temperamental and often has issues with connectivity, so you are probably
> better off using a mirror if possible.

Ah - emboss.open-bio.org is still running on the old web-server
and appears to have been missed in the initial migration to the
new OBF web-server running on the Amazon cloud:
http://news.open-bio.org/news/2012/11/server-transition-to-aws/

I've CC'd the root-l mailing list so our volunteer SysAdmin team
know about this.

(Right now the old server seems to be running FTP OK, but
it would not surprise me to hear it is temperamental.)

Thanks,

Peter C.