[EMBOSS] ftp server down?

Hamish McWilliam hpm at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Sep 10 08:05:09 UTC 2013

> Just FYI: For the past few hours, the emboss ftp server seems to be down.
>
> Also, are there any mirrors?

I am aware of two mirrors for the EMBOSS distribution:

* EMBL-EBI: ftp://ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/software/unix/EMBOSS/
* IUBio Archive:
- http://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/soft/molbio/emboss/
- ftp://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/molbio/emboss/

In my experience the main EMBOSS FTP server (ftp://emboss.open-bio.org/)
is temperamental and often has issues with connectivity, so you are
probably better off using a mirror if possible.

If you are only looking for the software, and can handle the slight lag
for packaging, then you might want to use prepackaged versions for your
system:

* RPM based systems:
- http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=3&search=EMBOSS
- http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=emboss
* Debain (.deb) based systems:
- http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=emboss

All the best,

Hamish
Mr Hamish McWilliam,
Web Production,
European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI),
European Molecular Biology Laboratory,
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus,
Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SD
United Kingdom