[EMBOSS] seqret segfault (refseq protein sequence, indexed with dbxflat)

Peter Rice ricepeterm at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 1 19:03:44 UTC 2013

Dear Jan,

> I've run into a weird problem with seqret after downloading the complete
> protein refseq database and indexing that with dbxflat. The problem
> seems to be triggered by a rare condition, so far I've only encountered
> it with accession ZP_10312765:

The problem is in ajax/core/ajfeatwrite.c in function featTagSwissWrapC (so it will only affect Swissprot format feature output).

Variable j is declared ajulong but should be ajlong (signed, so it can have a value of -1 in this case).

If you change the line to

    ajlong j;

and rebuild, that should fix it.

I will check the other wrapping functions in case they have a similar problem with other inputs.

Again, many thanks for finding it.

Peter Rice
EMBOSS Team