[EMBOSS] Do I need to uninstall old EMBOSS?

David Bauer david.bauer at bayer.com
Fri Dec 20 14:54:13 UTC 2013

Hi Robin,

I changed to Mac not so long ago so I don't have extensive experiences.
But on other systems I usually have just installed the new version in the same place like the old one, simply by overwriting the old files.
But because your old EMBOSS is really OLD, you should than check if some traces of the old system (with different names) have survived the update.
Especially all the internal libs (libnucleus, libajax etc.) can cause trouble if you have some older versions sitting around which ld picks up during runtime. This can cause strange error messages.
So make sure you don't have multiple copies of them.

With EMBOSS 6.6.0 the installation from source on Mac (10.9.1) worked fine. I have installed the prerequisite libraries (zlib, png, gd, pdf etc.) from MacPorts. So I don't have experiences with Fink.
There were just 2 issues with the png driver.
1) You have to give manually configure the hint where the libraries are (--with-pngdriver=/opt/local). This is for macports. I think fink puts the libs somewhere in /sw
2) The check for png support in libgd does not work. So I simply set "CHECK=1" in configure after the checks for gdImageCreateFromPng (yes, I know this is a dirty hack...)  At least on my system the programs with graphics output can generate png files without problems.

I have not yet tried if Jemboss runs on MacOS because I normally use EMBOSS just on command line. For casual users I find the simple web interface of emboss explorer quite usefull. But you probably don't want to install apache on your MacBook.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
David.