[EMBOSS] Do I need to uninstall old EMBOSS?

Robin Colgrove robin at hms.harvard.edu
Wed Dec 18 18:36:58 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I have a very old version of EMBOSS (3.1 I think) that I have been using for years in the command line. On my new MacBook Air, OS X 10.8.5, I get a "Bad CPU type in executable" error. This has given me the incentive to finally upgrade.

My question is whether I need to uninstall the old -now non-working- EMBOSS before installing the new one, and if so where can I find instructions for that.

Last time I installed EMBOSS, it took me days to root out all the errors, so this time I was thinking of using Fink (which I also haven't used for years).

I've also never used the GUI's for EMBOSS, so I'm happy for any opinions on what's best.

thanks,

Robin Colgrove
Dept of Microbiology and Immunobiology
Harvard Medical School