[EMBOSS] problems with eprimer3

Felipe Martínez-Pastor felipe.egrupos at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 16:01:33 UTC 2010

Dear EMBOSS developers and users,

I am having some problems with the eprimer3 application in EMBOSS. I
have been using primer3 online (primer3plus, ncbi site) with good
results, and I just tried using it in EMBOSS. I am using MacOS 10.6.4
(Snow Leopard), with EMBOSS 6.3.1 installed by Fink (an UNIX porting
system for MacOS). The primer3 version is 2.2.3.

One of the problems has already being described in this list, but it
seems to still be around. When I call eprimer3 with a sequence, the
output is:
Picks PCR primers and hybridization oligos
Error: Missing SEQUENCE tag

See this thread for details, I did the same tests and the results were
similar; primer3_core is OK, but it seems that eprimer3 has not been
updated yet to successfully communicate with the primer3_core 2.x versions:
http://www.mail-archive.com/emboss@lists.open-bio.org/msg01405.html

I have not tried yet the developer's version of EMBOSS, should I?

Regards,

--
Felipe Martínez-Pastor, Ph. D.
e-mail: felipe.martinez at unileon.es