[EMBOSS] EMBOSS eprimer3 and latest primer3_core

Tom Keller kellert at ohsu.edu
Tue Apr 13 19:07:22 UTC 2010

Hi,
I've just installed the beta version of primer3-2.2.2 also. The boulder_io format has been changed. For example, instead of
SEQUENCE=ACGT....
the new tag is
SEQUENCE_TEMPLATE=ACGT...
also, notice the underscores (they are hard to see in the html manual, cause of the link markup)

I tested primer3_core. It works with this example:
SEQUENCE_ID=PT203_A02
SEQUENCE_TEMPLATE=GTGCCGTGCTCGGCTTCTCTGGTCACAGTCTTTTGTCTCTAGGGCTAAGACAGTGCCTGTCCCTGAAAAGTGGACCACTCCTCAAGAGATAAAACAAAAGATCCAACTCCTCCACCAGAAGTCAGAGTTTGTGGAGAAGAGCACAAAGTACTTCTCAGGTAGATGGGCTTGGGAGAAGATTGGAGGTGCATGCTCACTTCCTCCCTAAGATCCACATAGCCCAGAGCCCCTCACTTCCCTCCTCTTCCCCTGGTCTTGCTGACCTGCCTTCAACCTCTCCTCCATCTGTCCCTGGCTGAGGGACCTAACTCCAGCTTCTCTCTGCTCCCTTTCCCACATTTTAGAAACCCTGCGTTCAGAAATGGAAATGTTCAATGGTGAGTCCAGCGGTAATGGTGTGTGCTGGCCTGGGGTTGTTGCAGTGTTCCCTTGTGCTGTTGACTTGAGGGGCCCTATTTAGAAGACAAAAAAAAAACCAAACACCTGGGGGCAAAAGTAAAA
SEQUENCE_TARGET=395,12
PRIMER_TASK=pick_detection_primers
PRIMER_PICK_LEFT=1
PRIMER_PICK_INTERNAL=1
PRIMER_PICK_RIGHT=1
PRIMER_OPT_SIZE=20
PRIMER_MIN_SIZE=17
PRIMER_MAX_SIZE=23
PRIMER_MAX_NS_ACCEPTED=1
PRIMER_PRODUCT_SIZE_RANGE=75-300
P3_FILE_FLAG=1
PRIMER_EXPLAIN_FLAG=1
=

But eprimer3 dies:
Error: Unable to read sequence './boulderio_template.txt'
Died: eprimer3 terminated: Bad value for '-sequence' and no prompt

Is it that the new format has not yet been accommodated?

thanks,
Tom

Thomas (Tom) Keller, PhD
kellert at ohsu.edu