[EMBOSS] installation verification - automatic detection of missing "cores" for wrappers

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Sun Nov 1 22:21:58 UTC 2009

It would be _really_ helpful if there was some sort of:

  make test_wrappers

or

  make find_empty_wrappers

which could be run after

  make install

which would show which emboss programs that are just wrappers are
missing the core program that they enable.  In random testing I keep
running into new programs on the web menu (W2H or EMBOSS-Explorer) which
blow up when tested because the "real" program isn't present.  The
latest, was elipop, which does not work without lipoP.  No way to tell
from the names what is a wrapper, and what isn't.  epestfind is a
program, elipop is a wrapper.  Then searching in the build directory it
turns out that elipop is part of cbstools, and I knew from an earlier
case like this that these are mostly (all?) wrappers.

Thanks,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu