[EMBOSS] Applications limits

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Fri May 1 08:21:50 UTC 2009

Achille Zappa wrote:
> Hi All !
> I'm new in the mailing list and I want to say hello to everyones
> I want to use some EMBOSS apps as services in a Taverna workflow, but
> they failed in some cases, I suppose when I use "too many" sequences or
> alignments as inputs!! Could you tell me if there are some specific limits
> and what they are?! Especially about "emma", "fproml" and "fneighbor"
> services !

The applications are limited only by the resources of the machines they run
on. The applications you mention are not pure EMBOSS applications. Emma is
a wrapper for clustalw. fproml and fneighbor are from PHYLIP 3.6. They may
have their own limits but they are large.

When using Taverna and the SoapLab services you may reach a timeout limit
on the services. I see Mahmut Uludag has already replied on the taverna
mailing list with a fix for that.

SoapLab services for Taverna use machines with large enough resources for
most jobs.

If you find an example where you have reached a limit, please send it to
emboss-bug at emboss.open-bio.org

It may be simply a large input or a long calculation - but we can try to
improve the application to make it faster or to use less memory.