[EMBOSS] Bootstrap

Achille Zappa achille.zappa at istge.it
Mon May 11 13:04:26 UTC 2009

> Hi Hamish,
>> EMBOSS 6.0.1 install updated with current patches.
> Thanks.
> Achille, I would appreciate it if you can update your workflow to Soaplab
> EMBOSS-6 services and check whether you now get correct results. Please
> let us know if you still get erroneous results.
> Regards,
> Mahmut

HI
I made some tests with EMBOSS-6 apps in Taverna 1.7.1, but i had bad
result, problably my faults because I haven't still exactly understand how
to use them.
I'll try to explain my doubts, sorry if it could be a little confused :
primarly my objective is to create phylogenetic trees of protein
sequences, so i use FASTA sequences for -> multiple alignments tolls to ->
create phylo trees with distance matrix (nj and/or UPGMA) or Maximum
Likelihood tools. For this I implemented in my workflow also a part like
that in the attach files :

- are the construction of the workflow, and connection links right?

- the fneighbor app fails everytime with errors like this :

"
  Soaplab call returned an error : Summary:
	Completed: Erroneously
  Report:
  Some error messages were reported.

 Name: phylogeny_distance_matrix.fneighbor
 Job ID: [phylogeny_distance_matrix.fneighbor]_583a12f0.1211f9ce9fb._79d0
 Program and parameters:
 /ebi/extserv/bin/EMBOSS-6.0.1/bin/fneighbor
 -datafile
 /ebi/extserv/soaplab-work/soaplab2_emboss6/SANDBOX
/[phylogeny_distance_matrix.fneighbor]_583a12f0.1211f9ce9fb._79d0/i_datafile
-outfile
 /ebi/extserv/soaplab-work/soaplab2_emboss6/SANDBOX
/[phylogeny_distance_matrix.fneighbor]_583a12f0.1211f9ce9fb._79d0/o_outfile
 -outtreefile
 /ebi/extserv/soaplab-work/soaplab2_emboss6/SANDBOX
/[phylogeny_distance_matrix.fneighbor]_583a12f0.1211f9ce9fb._79d0
/o_outtreefiletreefile
 -auto
 --- end of parameters
 Exit code: 1

 Standard error stream:
 Error: Distances file found 0 rows, expected 15
 Error: Unable to read distances file '/ebi/extserv/soaplab-
work/soaplab2_emboss6/SANDBOX
/[phylogeny_distance_matrix.fneighbor]_583a12f0.1211f9ce9fb._79d0
/i_datafile'
 Died: fneighbor terminated: Bad value for '-datafile' with -auto defined

ProcessorTask.runAndGenerateTemplates(..) : line 576
&lt;ProcessorTask.java&gt;<br>
ProcessorTask.doInvocationWithRetryLogic(..) : line 517
&lt;ProcessorTask.java&gt;<br>   ProcessorTask.invokeOnce(..) : line 436
&lt;ProcessorTask.java&gt;<br>   ProcessorTask.invokeWithoutIteration(..)
: line 642 &lt;ProcessorTask.java&gt;<br>   ProcessorTask.invoke(..) :
line 353 &lt;ProcessorTask.java&gt;<br>   ProcessorTask.handleRun(..) :
line 280 &lt;ProcessorTask.java&gt;<br>   NewState$1.run(..) : line 67
&lt;NewState.java&gt;<br>]
"

I don't understand the "Standard error stream" explanation! about datafile
and the "-auto" param.

In attach also some input samples.

Instead If I use, for exsample, a 48 sequences alignment input I have a
java heap space error (is it my computer fault?).

-the timeout limit for the jobs is 60 minutes!? , it is a restriction of
EBI that is impossible to avoid I suppose!
for example a fproml job with 48 seq align is more than 60 minutes long I
think because after 1 hour it returns a completed job message with empty
output.

I apologize if all this stuff is only a my fault becuase of my ignorance
about these processes but I will appreciate your help and advices.

Thank you all for your time and disponibility
BEST REGARDS
CHEERS
Achille

P.S. Do you have some advices about the best tools for a phylogenetic tree
research, about different alignment apps (ClustalW, Muscle, T-coffee,
....) different distance algorythm (NJ, UPGMA, MAX Likelihood, ....), tree
constuction, computational optimization ...
THANKS

--
Achille Zappa
-Bioinformatics

Aiutaci TU ad aiutare TANTI: Il tuo 5 per MILLE a sostegno della nostra RICERCA.
 Come fare:
 Nella prossima dichiarazione dei redditi metti la firma
 nell'apposito riquadro del 5 per mille,
 scrivendo anche il codice fiscale dell'Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro di Genova :
  c.f. 80 100 850 108
 Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro
 L.go R. Benzi, 10 -16132 Genova
 http://www.istge.it