[EMBOSS] Problem with showdb and seqret

Mohd Afiq Hazlami afikolami at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 01:28:51 UTC 2009

Hello,
I'm new to EMBOSS and I have a problem that I can't figure out. I have
configured and installed EMBOSS-6.0.1 on my Ubuntu machine and I tried doing
the exercises according to the tutorial. There's nothing wrong when I typed
'wossname' and the program works fine, just like in the tutorial. But when
it comes to 'showdb' tutorial, the program returns this:

afiq at peregrin:~/EMBOSS-6.0.1$ showdb
Displays information on configured databases
# Name         Type  ID  Qry All Comment
# ============ ==== ==  === === =======
afiq at peregrin:~/EMBOSS-6.0.1$

which is totally different from the tutorial where it shows some database
names. Is this normal?

Then, when I tried to use seqret as in the tutorial given (using xlrhodop),
the program returns this:

afiq at peregrin:~/EMBOSS-6.0.1$ seqret
Reads and writes (returns) sequences
Input (gapped) sequence(s): embl:xlrhodop
Error: Failed to open filename 'embl'
Error: Unable to read sequence 'embl:xlrhodop'
Input (gapped) sequence(s):

which is really confusing. Can anybody tell me what's wrong?