[EMBOSS] RootDirectory and BaseDirectory hardcoded at build time ?

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 16:12:30 UTC 2009

Peter Rice wrote:
> Charles Plessy wrote:
>> Dear EMBOSS developers,
>>
>> I realised some time ago that when using the Debian 'emboss' package,
>> embossversion would report wrong RootDirectory and BaseDirectory
>> because the
>> binaries are built in a temporary location before being moved in the
>> package
>> and installed on downstream computers:
>>
>> aqwa$ embossversion -full
>> Writes the current EMBOSS version number to a file
>> PackageName: EMBOSS
>> LibraryVersion: 6.0.1
>> InstallDirectory: /usr
>> RootDirectory: /tmp/buildd/emboss-6.0.1/emboss
>> BaseDirectory: /tmp/buildd/emboss-6.0.1/
>>
>> Using 'strace' and 'strings', I figured out that this information is
>> hard-coded
>> in libajax. Is there a way to indicate the final location
>> (/usr/share/EMBOSS?)
>> at build time?
>
> The values are defined at build time. You can override them with
> settings in emboss.defaults (the easiest way) as EMBOSS_ROOT (the base
> directory is simply one level up). embossversion will report
> these values. This is the usual way where EMBOSS installations have been
> moved.

Oops, wrong answer!

It is not possible to define it in emboss.default (the correct name)
because the values are set before emboss.default is read (they are
needed to find the possible locations of emboss.default).

That leaves setenv EMBOSS_ROOT as the way to define the values (in csh
syntax) but that is not so easy to implement globally.

Does the embossversion output give you any other problems? Or do the
values give problems for any other EMBOSS applications?

Where does the source get moved to? Or is it removed?