[EMBOSS] problem with unauthenticated Jemboss server

john walshaw (JIC) john.walshaw at bbsrc.ac.uk
Wed Jun 11 17:51:00 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am trying to install an un-authenticated Jemboss server on Linux
(RHEL4, on an AMD64 platform). I've managed this before on other RedHat
flavours, and on Tru64.

Everything appears to be ok in terms of the Jemboss service being
deployed, which I can see on the Tomcat server via Axis. However, when I
try and connect with my Jemboss client, I immediately get the "Check
Settings" popup, even though the Public/Private server details appear
correct. As expected, at no stage does a login dialogue appear. However,
if I click OK on the Check Settings popup, then try and run an EMBOSS
app, I get the popup: "Authentication failed/ The server wants a
username and password ..."

Can anybody help me diagnose the cause? The logs produced by the vanilla
Tomcat installation aren't very helpful. Details are:

EMBOSS 5.0.0
Tomcat 5.0.28
Axis 1.4
Sun Java 1.5.0.11.x86_64
kernel 2.6.9-42.ELsmp

The installation is on a node ('node7') of a cluster behind a firewall.
I'm running the client on the same host and another one behind the same
firewall.

When running configure, I specified --without-auth  (and
--with-thread=linux and --enable-64).

When building Jemboss, I compiled the JembossServer and
JembossFileServer classes (not the ...Auth.. equivalents).

The relevant entries in the jemboss.properties file used by both server
& client are:

user.auth=false
jemboss.server=true
server.public=http://node7:8080/axis/services
server.private=http://node7:8080/axis/services
service.public=JembossServer
service.private=JembossServer

The above server details appear as expected in the Preferences ->
Settings -> Servers dialogue of the Jemboss client.

After starting Tomcat and deploying JembossServer, I can go to:

http://node7:8080/axis/services/JembossServer

using a browser on the same node or a different one on the cluster. I
get the expected page
("JembossServer  Hi there, this is an AXIS service! .... " etc).

http://node7:8080/axis/happyaxis.jsp  lists all the Needed Components,
and all are present. All that is missing is one optional component, the
XML Security class.

http://node7:8080/axis/servlet/AxisServlet shows that both JembossServer
and EmbreoFile have been added - they and all their methods are listed.

If I run the Jemboss client on the same host as the server, it's still
the same problem if I specify the servers as
http://localhost:8080/axis/services

Any help much appreciated,

regards,

John.

Dr John Walshaw
Department of Computational & Systems Biology
John Innes Centre
Colney
Norwich NR4 7UH
UK