[EMBOSS] SeaView

Guy Bottu gbottu at vub.ac.be
Fri Jul 18 12:48:50 UTC 2008

Staffa, Nick (NIH/NIEHS) wrote:
> I would really appreciate any evaluation of the editor SEAVIEW by anyone
> reading this.
> Do you think SeaView is as good as SeqLab

	Dear Nick,

Well, at the BEN site I installed SeaView as replacement, when we lost
GCG+SeqLab. SeqLab does multiple sequence editing + graphical display of
features + allows to execute programs on sequence (ranges). SeaView is basically
just an editor (although it can call clustal or muscle to re-align portions of
the aligment, and make a dotplot). What I find a great loss is that in SeqLab
you can with the mouse select a block and then with one click delete it, while
with SeaView you need to press as many time the <backspace> as there are columns
to delete. But if you have nothing else SeaView is certainly not bad. It has the
advantage to be freeware and that there are versions for several platforms.
You can install it and test it yourself. It is in principle easy to install
(although there might be problems with prerequisite libraries). You can obtain
it from ftp://pbil.univ-lyon1.fr/pub/mol_phylogeny/seaview (and in some LINUX
distributions like Gentoo it is actually vailable). If you run into trouble I am
willing to give some advice.

	Regards,
	Guy Bottu,
	Belgian EMBnet Node