[EMBOSS] X-dependency optional?

ajb at ebi.ac.uk ajb at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jul 17 10:16:11 UTC 2008

Dear Nils,

It can be tricky to remove that dependency. The configuration
switch --without-x works on some systems. The FAQ mentions
the problem briefly

Q) I have a Linux system and compilation ends prematurely saying that
   it can't find the -lX11 libraries ... but I know I have X11
   installed.

A) You may well have the X11 server installed but you haven't installed
   the X11 development files. For example, on RPM distributions, you need
   to install:
     xorg-x11-devel           (xorg-based X11 distros) or
     XFree86-devel            (XFree86-based X11 distros)

It could do with updating to reflect the package name in Debian-based
distros and the new name for xorg-based distros. It does give a
hint though. The books we're writing (1st proof stage) certainly give
more information - the web pages will soon be updated using the material
from the latter.

I intend revisiting that area of configuration at some stage.

Alan