[EMBOSS] Jemboss

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Apr 24 07:48:58 UTC 2008

Hi Nick,

Staffa, Nick (NIH/NIEHS) wrote:
> My sysadmin guy installed Jemboss but it doesn't seem to know about dataset
> and datafiles (like Rebase) .
> Command line emboss does just fine finding stuff like REBASE.

This suggests they are using some different setup. If the database files
were installed in the default directories, and you have only one EMBOSS
installation, this is very strange. If there is some other location for
the files and EMBOSS_* environment variables are being used to redirect
that would explain the behaviour.

What is the message you get from Jemboss?

> The emboss doc at http://emboss.sourceforge.net/docs/adminguide/node69.html
> says:
>>> Graphical interfaces to EMBOSS
> This chapter needs to be written. It will be written when the available GUIs
> are stable enough to document.
> <<
>
> Does this mean that Jemboss is not to be trusted? Is not ready for
> prime-time?

Jemboss is fine. We are updating all our documentation at the moment :-)

> Does anyone know what where and what resource file Jemboss must see so that
> it can run programs like remap successfully?

You will get a more detailed reply from the Jemboss experts.