[EMBOSS] prophet BLOSUM question

Daniel Barker db60 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Thu Apr 10 11:10:11 UTC 2008

Dear EMBOSS users,

I am new to protein profile searches and am using prophecy and prophet
for a distant similarity search. I'm trying to use BLOSUM45, but prophet
is reporting BLOSUM62.

I'm generating profiles using prophecy and the BLOSUM45 matrix, thus:

prophecy -auto -warning -type H -datafile EBLOSUM45 -name
homologene_1825.aln -outfile homologene_1825.prophecy

This seems fine.

I'm using the profiles to search a protein database, thus:

prophet -auto -warning -infile homologene_1825.prophecy -outfile
prophet_out.txt -sequence
NC_000909_Methanocaldococcus_jannaschii_DSM_2661_prots.fasta

I am puzzled by this line I get in my prophet output (prophet_out.txt in
this case):

# Matrix: EBLOSUM62

I can't seem to make it go away. The profile file itself
(homologene_1825.prophecy) does correctly report BLOSUM45:

Matrix          EBLOSUM45

Is there any way to make prophet also use BLOSUM45? (Does it in fact
make any difference to prophet?)

Thank you very much for advice.

Best regards,

Daniel