[EMBOSS] Updating the Quick Guide

David Martin david at compbio.dundee.ac.uk
Wed Oct 10 14:30:24 UTC 2007

On 10/10/07 14:23, "Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio" <dalloliogm at gmail.com> wrote:

> You should update the guide on how to install emboss.
>
> In particular, explain how to use the .deb and .rpm packages, since a
> lot of people still try to install emboss by compiling it, and it is a
> pain.
>

> 2007/10/9, David Martin <david at compbio.dundee.ac.uk>:
>> Prompted by charles' request yesterday I am in the process of updating the
>> EMBOSS quick guide. it was last touched about 8 years ago so comments and
>> suggestions on what is new, and what should be dropped would be much
>> appreciated.
>>
>> ..d

The aim of the Quick Guide is to provide a one sheet of A4 (two sides) quick
reference guide to the common programs and command line arguments that are
used with EMBOSS. I found it very useful when teaching as an aide memoire
for myself and the students.

Explaining how to install EMBOSS on each architecture is NOT the aim - for
that read the admin guide, the maintenance of which Alan and others have
taken off my hands. I will however reference the admin guide for
installation info.

If you haven't seen the quick guide a somewhat dated pdf is available in
emboss/docs/manuals/emboss_qg.pdf

regards

..d