[EMBOSS] eprimer3 and emma

Hong, Xin xinhong at indiana.edu
Fri Jun 8 15:01:07 UTC 2007

Hello there,

I have two questions, when I check all the functions of EMBOSS after installation.

Here is the error message I get, when I try eprimer3.

[discern:discern_test]\% eprimer3 tembl:hsfau1 hsfau.eprimer3 -explain
Picks PCR primers and hybridization oligos
Died: The program 'primer3_core' must be on the path.
It is part of the 'primer3' package, version 0.9,
available from the Whitehead Institute.
See: http://www-genome.wi.mit.edu/

I wondering could version higher than 0.9 work. I found the C source code on http://primer3.sourceforge.net/releases.php . In addition, what the path mean in "must be on the path".

Another question is about emma. How can I ban emma? If we have clustalw run on other place. Or I have to install clustalw.

[discern:discern_test]\% emma
Multiple alignment program - interface to ClustalW program
Input (gapped) sequence(s): globins.fasta
output sequence set [hbb_human.aln]:
Dendrogram (tree file) from clustalw output file [hbb_human.dnd]:

   EMBOSS An error in ajsys.c at line 421:
cannot find program 'clustalw'

Thank,

Xin