[EMBOSS] Database too lare for dbifasta

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jul 19 06:47:28 UTC 2007

George Magklaras wrote:

> Question to the developers:
>
> Why INT_MAX (signed)? Why not unsigned UINT_MAX (to raise it a bit) or
> another raised limit? It is a bit of an overhead to have to go through
> the file split stage.

The index file format was originally defined that way by the Staden
package, and also used by EMBL/EBI CD-ROM indexing and by utilities at
the Sanger Centre/Institute.

The dbi* index files have two problems - they cannot store file
positions larger than 2Gb aqnd they do not allow duplicate primary
identifiers.

We may remove them in a future release - but for smaller databases many
users seem to find them useful still.