[EMBOSS] extracting 3' UTRs

David.Bauer at SCHERING.DE David.Bauer at SCHERING.DE
Tue Jan 16 15:44:23 UTC 2007

Hi Shrish,

in principle this would be an easy task for 'extractfeat' because the EMBL
feature table definition contains also the feature key "3' UTR".
But nearly nobody uses this feature key in praxi.
So I would use coderet to look for the end of a CDS and then extract the
remaining part with seqret. or extractseq.
It will be straightforward for single mRNA entries with one CDS.
If you want to do this on a genome level, you should take a look at
Ensembl (www.ensembl.org) and the Mart interface. There you can extract
3'UTR.
But from my experience the annotation of UTRs is very incomplete so don't
expect to get something comprehensive with these methods.

HTH,
David.