[EMBOSS] EMBOSS-Explorer

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Mon Sep 11 15:37:39 UTC 2006

Does anyone know how to get a hold of Luke McCarthy?  The email address
I have for him is getting bounced back and he hasn't responded to his
sourceforge email.

Since I'm on the topic...I have two problems with EMBOSS-Explorer and
EMBOSS 4.0.0:

1.  EMBOSS-Explorer uses the path of
/usr/share/EMBOSS/doc/programs/html, however EMBOSS html docs are
installed in /usr/share/EMBOSS/doc/html/emboss.  The EMBASSY docs are in
/usr/share/EMBOSS/doc/html/embassy.

This seems to be completely different than where the text documents are
installed, /usr/share/EMBOSS/doc/programs/txt.  It looks like EMBOSS v3
was installing the html docs in /usr/share/EMBOSS/doc/programs/html, but
that has changed in v4.

So, either the EMBOSS installation needs to be told to install in
/usr/share/EMBOSS/doc/programs/html, or EMBOSS-Explorer needs to be
updated to look in 2 different directories, one for EMBOSS and one for
EMBASSY.

As a third option, EMBOSS-Explorer could run 'tfm -html' to get the html
doc generated on the fly.  This is probably overkill though.

2.  The new programs introduce new datatypes in the ACD files that
EMBOSS-Explorer doesn't recognize.  I get an 'unknown data type' message
display in my browser for these apps.

Ryan Golhar  -  golharam at umdnj.edu
The Informatics Institute of UMDNJ