[EMBOSS] Does emboss have a handy way for mutate a protein sequence?

Zhiqiang Ye yezhiqiang at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 21:29:49 UTC 2006

Dear all,

      Does emboss have a handy way for mutate a protein sequence by
the specified way?
For example, I have a sequence foo.fasta

>foo
MATSCGLLKIIQRE

It has a mutant called  'A2L'. Is there any way to do this operation
to output(with an option to check the foo.fasta has 'A' at position
2):
>foo A2L
MLTSCGLLKIIQRE

My way:  use extractseq to extract two file: one before position 2,
the other after postion 2. Then creat a fasta file contain 'L'.  After
that,  I use union to connect these 3 sequence file in to one.

Or write a perl script to do this by change a string's substring.

How If emboss could provide a 'mutate' !

Thank you :)

Best regards!
--
Zhiqiang Ye