[EMBOSS] compiling embassy programs

Deborah Weisman dvorah at agri.huji.ac.il
Tue Jul 25 15:12:13 UTC 2006

I have successfully compiled, installed and tested emboss 4 on a new
Redhat ES 4 machine.
I am trying to install the embassy programs, and am having trouble with
many of them.
The ones that installed without problems are:

EMNU-1.05  ESIM4-1.0.0  HMMER-2.3.2  MEME-2.3.1  MSE-1.0.0  TOPO-1.0.0

Most of the others are giving  problems.

Starting with Phylip, since the docs claim that Phylip also should
install without problems:
Since emboss is installed into /usr/local , I did:

 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-localforce

and then make gives:

clique.c: In function `emboss_getoptions':
clique.c:160: error: void value not ignored as it ought to be
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I downloaded the current version of phylip, without emboss additions,
from :
ftp://evolution.genetics.washington.edu/pub/phylip/phylip-3.65.tar.gz
and it compiles and runs with no problems.

Do you have any suggestions as to what I should be looking at?

Thank you,

Deborah Weisman