[EMBOSS] Accessing Applications

Marc Logghe Marc.Logghe at DEVGEN.com
Tue Feb 28 09:56:12 UTC 2006

Hi Ahmad,

> Hello,
>
> I am a graduate student at Dartmouth Medical School.  I was
> trying to use some of EMBOSS applications but it always gave
> me the error shown below.  Can you please help me figure that out ?

I have noticed some changes at the EMBOSS web site as well. The docs for
the individual applications can be found at this url:
http://emboss.sourceforge.net/apps/cvs/index.html
A direct link to the docs of diffseq is
http://emboss.sourceforge.net/apps/cvs/diffseq.html.

Beware that at the sourceforge web site you can not actually run the
applications !
You have to install it yourself and run applications at the command line
or check out some sites that publish an EMBOSS web interface.
I wanted to point you to some wEMBOSS implementations at various EMBL
nodes but ... in order to use that you need to register, unfortunately.
I don't know their policies  (http://bigben.vub.ac.be:6080/wEMBOSS,
https://emb1.bcc.univie.ac.at/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,104/).
Anyhow, the EMBL policies seem to differ from those used by the NCBI or
EBI for instance, cos there everybody can make use of the tools. Even if
you don't pay taxes ;-)
HTH,
Marc