[EMBOSS] to use single program

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Sep 26 08:23:07 UTC 2005

chowdary manio wrote:

> hello all,
>
> I am trying to make a tool for alignment using water
> and garnier programs in EMBOSS.
>
> I want to seperate the code of water and garnier to
> use them alone. I am unable to do that.
>
> Please let me know a way for this..
>
> Is it possible to seperate up from EMBOSS?

Water and Garnier link to the EMBOSS libraries. Although you can in theory
make standalone binaries (the sort yuo can copy to another system and expect
them to run) it is tricky and we do not officially support EMBOSS programs
copied that way.

An alternative is to pick up the FASTA package from Virginia. FASTA includes
the original versions of both garnier and matcher (the other local alignment
program in EMBOSS - called lalign in FASTA). If you build these programs you
will be able to copy them. Of course you will lose the EMBOSS standard command
line checking and output options, but you will find most of the functionality
you are likely to need is still in the FASTA programs.

Hope that helps,