[EMBOSS] Jemboss Installation on OS X (fwd)

Tim Carver tjc at sanger.ac.uk
Sun Nov 6 17:54:06 UTC 2005

Hi Peter

The installation instructions are here,

for the standalone:
http://emboss.sourceforge.net/Jemboss/install/standalone.html

for the client-server
http://emboss.sourceforge.net/Jemboss/install/server.html

The install script (install-jemboss-server.sh) is intended to guide you
through as much as possible the installation process. This has been
updated since I have had access to Tiger - so get the latest from
(http://emboss.sourceforge.net/Jemboss/install/install-jemboss-server.sh).
I have also just been through the server set up instructions and updated
versions etc, hopefully to make it clearer. Please let me know if there is
anything there that needs to be clarified.

Also please email any problems you encounter during the installation.

Important points I would emphasise:

- get the latest install script from:
http://emboss.sourceforge.net/Jemboss/install/install-jemboss-server.sh
to replace the one in EMBOSS-3.x.x/jemboss/utils/

- ensure that libpng, zlib and libgd are installed in the same place
(i.e. with the same prefix), e.g. /usr/local

- ensure you start with fresh downloads and remove any old installations
of tomcat, axis, EMBOSS.

- use the current versions (Java 1.5, apache-tomcat-5.5.12, axis-1_3)

- follow the instructions at:
  http://emboss.sourceforge.net/Jemboss/install/server.html

Let me know how it goes,
Tim

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, Peter Ulvskov wrote:

> > Thanks Michael that is useful to the EMBOSS group as we are waiting
> > for a
> > copy of Tiger to test Jemboss/EMBOSS out on. So it is good to know that
> > you have it working.
> >
> > Also just a note that 1.3 is no longer supported, so the options are
> > 1.4.2 or 1.5.
> >
> > Regards
> > Tim Carver
>
> Dear Tim,
> I have tried to follow your instructions earlier on (Emboss 2.8.0) with
> regard to getting Jemboss installed on OS X, but gave up eventually
> (Emboss itself runs fine). I have just downloaded ebiotools with Emboss
> version 3.0 and thought that I should give it one more try. A little
> Googling reveals that a lot of people are struggling with the Jemboss
> installation and although some users actually succeed I have yet to
> find a consolidated, fool proof step 1 through n on how to do it.
> Jemboss has been around long enough for such a Quick-start guide to
> exist if only I could find it.
> Can you help?
>
> Thanks, and best regards,
>
> Peter Ulvskov