[EMBOSS] More on EMBOSS install on OS X: refuses to overwrite X11

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 31 15:41:07 UTC 2005

On Mar 31, 2005, at 9:46 AM, Robin Colgrove wrote:

> In particular, I am using phred/phrap/consed for several important
> sequencing projects and it is -after a good deal of struggle- working
> fine with my existing X11 from the Apple SDK (about which I know
> nothing except at the user level). I am hesitant to mess with this.

If you have only Apple's X11 and Apple's X11-SDK installed, and no
other flavors of X (you mentioned in a previous email that you
installed xfree86), then there should be no problem with fink. I
suggest you move your current X11 (in /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11 and
/Applications/Utilities/X11.app) to eg a temp directory. Then try to
install a fresh Apple X11 and Apple X11-SDK. Fink should then be able
to detect that you have an existing X11 package. If you want to restore
the old X11, just copy them back from the temp directory.  The various
X11 packages can be very confusing, especially if you have not much
experience with it, as seems to be in your case. But once you have set
it up, it works very well.

>  I may try again to compile without X11 (this failed before but may
> have been because of something else I was working on at the time). If
> this works, can one go back and add X11 later, once the kinks have
> been worked out? For now, I would be happy with just text-based
> sequence manipulation.

Indeed, there should probably be a command line version too. Since I am
the emboss maintainer for fink, I will look into that.

- Koen.