[EMBOSS] More on EMBOSS install on OS X: refuses to overwrite X11

Robin Colgrove robin at hms.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 31 14:46:00 UTC 2005

Thanks again for everyone's helpful suggestions.
I will try to get back to this later today.

I have to be careful, since I am unfamiliar with large-scale
programming (mostly a bench virologist, my own sequence analysis
programs are usually only a few pages of code, with text as the only
input and output) and I cannot afford to break my existing system. In
particular, I am using phred/phrap/consed for several important
sequencing projects and it is -after a good deal of struggle- working
fine with my existing X11 from the Apple SDK (about which I know
nothing except at the user level). I am hesitant to mess with this. I
may try again to compile without X11 (this failed before but may have
been because of something else I was working on at the time). If this
works, can one go back and add X11 later, once the kinks have been
worked out? For now, I would be happy with just text-based sequence
manipulation.

thanks again
robin