[EMBOSS] EMBOSS explorer

Luke McCarthy lukem at gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Wed Jul 27 21:05:46 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 14:28, Sumit Middha wrote:
> Hi,
> Its great to hear of the interface. I want to install it to my own directories
> (possibly the same where I untar everything) and then I will manage to point my
> web-pages or cgi etc to these. But I am not sure how to achieve that.
>
> This is my attempt at installation. Can someone help me with this. THanks.

At the moment, you can't use the install script to install to your local
directories.  You'd have to do quite a bit of extra setup anyway, to
make sure the web server could find (and had permission) to access the
library files in your own directory.

That being said, you can install the Perl modules like you would any
others:

	perl Makefile.PL
	make
	make install

You'll have to pass the appropriate options to Makefile.PL in order to
install to your own directory.

Alternatively, you can just run everything out of the untarred
directory.  You'll have to make sure that the web server is looking for
perl modules in the emboss-explorer/lib directory, and you'll have to
link appropriately to the html and cgi directories.  The webserver user
needs to be able to read everything in the lib, html and cgi
directories, and to be able to execute the script in the cgi directory,
and to be to write to the html/output directory.  I assume that you know
how to set up your webserver accordingly (or you wouldn't be asking...)
You'll also have to edit emboss-explorer/lib/EMBOSS/GUI/Conf.pm and fill
in the correct locations.  Good luck.

Cheers,

Luke