[EMBOSS] Some question

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jul 21 11:58:58 UTC 2005

Kerti Balázs Gábor wrote:

> There is some (elementary) question, because I do not find - maybe I do wrong
> - the solution.
>
> - how to backtranslate a cds mRNA fragm. to (c)DNA fragm. ?

The cDNA will be identical to the mRNA. No backtranslation needed.
Backtranslation (as in backtranseq) converts a protein sequence into a
nucleotide sequence that will translate to the same protein sequence (using
the most frequent codon for each amino acid).

If you only want to convert U (Uracil) to T (thymine) to convert an RNA
sequence to DNA (all EMBOSS programs will accept both as nucleotide input) you
can modify the program seqret to specify a nucleotide sequence as input, and
generate a DNA sequence as output. An easy way to start writing EMBOSS
programs - copy one program and one ACD file and make 4 small edits.

> - how to generate antisense DNA fragm. from a sens.

In EMBOSS, revseq does this. The antisense strand is smilpy the reverse
compleemnt of the original.

Hope this helps,