[EMBOSS] Installing the Jemboss server (fwd)

Timothy Carver tjc at sanger.ac.uk
Tue May 11 12:43:36 UTC 2004

Hi David

On Tue, 11 May 2004, David Martin wrote:
> Has anyone actually managed to do this outside HGMP (oops, RFCGR)?

Errr yes. Many sites have installed this and most people are successful
using the script. It has been tested on all EMBOSS supported
platforms.... Linux, MacOSX, SunOS, AIX....

> First issue: It doesn't take into account the additional arguements given
> for an EMBOSS install (eg. --bindir= --libdir=) which then break it later.
> This is easily fixed with a manual edit.

Why do you need to use those? This possibly cannot be described as a
standard install then. You don't say what you edit so I cannot comment
other than that the script does certainly allow you to add lines to the
configure.

> Second issue: It has problems finding various files. Excerpts from the
> install included below with comments
> --
> java.io.FileNotFoundException:
> /site/share/EMBOSS/jemboss/resources/wossname.jar
>  (No such file or directory)
>         at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
>         at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:102)
>         at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:62)
>         at sun.tools.jar.Main.run(Main.java:134)
>         at sun.tools.jar.Main.main(Main.java:904)
> java.io.FileNotFoundException:
> /site/share/EMBOSS/jemboss/resources/resources.ja
> r (No such file or directory)
>         at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
>         at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:102)
>         at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:62)
>         at sun.tools.jar.Main.run(Main.java:134)
>         at sun.tools.jar.Main.main(Main.java:904)
> --
> I had removed /site/share/EMBOSS/jemboss before running the script.
> /site/share/EMBOSS/jemboss/resources/ points to the axis web application
> directory under tomcat. (axis/WEB-INF/classes/resources)
> --
> error: cannot read:
> /site/share/EMBOSS/jemboss/org/emboss/jemboss/server/Jemboss
> AuthServer.java
> 1 error
> error: cannot read:
> /site/share/EMBOSS/jemboss/org/emboss/jemboss/server/Jemboss
> FileAuthServer.java
> 1 error
> --
> the relevant files have for some reason been installed under
> /site/share/EMBOSS/jemboss/org/org/emboss/jemboss/server
> by the install script.
>
> and it goes on with many more file not found errors. If these are ignored
> then further problems arise later.

No point ignoring errors like that and hoping it will work.
Again from what you provide I can only guess at what the problem may be.
Do you delete tomcat, axis and EMBOSS (download & installation) before
doing a fresh install?

Anyway it would be better to start with a standard working installation
and then hack it about from there if you really have to.

Tim