[EMBOSS] MacOSX Panther

Sylvain Foisy sylvain.foisy at bioneq.qc.ca
Sat Jan 17 17:09:33 UTC 2004

Hi,

On 04-01-16, at 23:39, Sabrina Dyall wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Where can one find detailed instructions (aimed at the lay-biochemist)
> on how to install EMBOSS 2.8.0 on a Mac running Panther, starting from
> downloading the package, expanding it, and compiling it? Second, how
> does one update to a new version of EMBOSS? I am currently using
> embossrunner with 2.7.1 and would like to update to 2.8.0, but have
> not been very successful.

Fink is a way but I prefered to do it as per a regular UNIX
installation. OK, here how I did it:

- First, you need to install some librairies for JPEG/PNG cration using
GD. Use these instructions:
	http://www.stepwise.com/Articles/Workbench/2001-06-12.01.html (GD
1.8.5) or
	http://www.paginar.net/matias/articles/gd_x_howto.html (GD 2.0)

The second instruction set is not totally ok. I got it to work by
following the first one for libjpg/libpng installation and then
installing GD 2.

- Second, simply d/l emboss archive and run the install-emboss script
as per the instructions on the web site. Take note that if you want to
install in the default location (/usr/local/emboss), you will need to
use sudo or switch to root user. I selected standalone for jemboss.

If you have any question/problem, don't hesitate.

Cordially

Sylvain

Sylvain Foisy, Ph. D.
Project Manager
BioneQ - Reseau quebecois de bio-informatique
Genome Quebec / Universite de Montreal
Montreal, QC

email: sylvain.foisy at bioneq.qc.ca