[EMBOSS] bioknoppix: a linux live CD with EMBOSS

Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga humberto at hpcf.upr.edu
Sat Feb 14 02:17:30 UTC 2004

Carlos Rodriguez and I have put together a custom KNOPPIX CD with
several bioinformatics applicacions. I'm using it to teach a
bioinformatics course at the University of Puerto Rico. The students can
take the whole course environment back to their labs, or home to
practice.

You can get the CD images from:

http://bioknoppix.hpcf.upr.edu/

The CD boots into a graphical KDE environment, with EMBOSS 2.8.0
installed, as well as ImageJ, bioconductor, R, Cn3D, rasmol, Artemis. We
also included jemboss standalone, but this release has a bug in the
jemboss installation.

The t* databases are installed, so students can follow the tutorial or
program manual examples for EMBOSS.

This version also includes SRS access to embl, genbank, swissprot, pir
via srswww to Sanger and Indiana University.

Please download the CD images and let us know how we can improve the
system.

--
Humberto Ortiz-Zuazaga
Carlos Rodriguez