[EMBOSS] dbigcg question

Thomas Keller kellert at ohsu.edu
Mon Sep 22 22:16:43 UTC 2003

I have the GCG format databases mounted on a read only volume on my
machine. To use these with Embos I made the following entry in my
.embossrc file:

# define dna2.ohsu.edu/gcgdata1 database for EMBOSS
set emboss_db_dir /Volumes/dna2.ohsu.edu
# set location of indices
set emboss_indices /Users/kellert/Emboss_indices

DB myembl [
   type: N
   format: embl
   method: gcg
   fields: "id acc sv des org key"
   directory: $emboss_db_dir/gcgembl
   indexdir: $emboss_indices/gcgembl
   comment: "GCG embl db from dna2.ohsu.edu:/gcgdata1 mounted locally"
]

  and created an index directory and tried to run dbigcg as follows:

kellert% dbigcg -indexdirectory /Users/kellert/Emboss_indices/gcgembl
Index a GCG formatted database
       EMBL : EMBL
      SWISS : Swiss-Prot, SpTrEMBL, TrEMBLnew
    GENBANK : Genbank, DDBJ
        PIR : NBRF
Entry format [EMBL]:
Database directory [.]:
Wildcard database filename [*.seq]:
Database name: myembl
Release number [0.0]:
Index date [00/00/00]:

    EMBOSS An error in embdbi.c at line 568:
Cannot open myembl001.list for writing

I don't understand why this isn't working. Can someone explain this to
me?
Thanks,
Tom K.

Tom Keller, Ph.D.