[EMBOSS] EMBOSS on Mac OS X

Conrad Nieduszynski c.a.nieduszynski at abdn.ac.uk
Wed Nov 26 10:10:43 UTC 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to run EMBOSS through a Mac OS X terminal on a G4. So far
I've used Fink to install EMBOSS. I'd also like to install MEME and
BLAST. Any advice would be much appreciated, but some specific
questions are:

- What is the best way to install local versions of BLAST and MEME?

- I'm trying to convert a fasta sequence file into a database file that
can be used by EMBOSS (although I'd really like it to also be available
to MEME and BLAST) using the command:

% dbifasta -idfor simple -file myfile.fasta -dir . -dbname mydb -auto

however I received the following error (multiple times):

Warning: ajStrFixI called with length 4096 for string with size 4096

The new database appears to there (from showdb), but the sequences are
now accessible to infoseq. Does this error message mean anything to
anyone?

Thanks,

Conrad

Dr Conrad Nieduszynski
DNA replication lab,
Institute of Medical Sciences,
Aberdeen University
Aberdeen

Dr Conrad Nieduszynski
Cancer Research UK Chromosome Replication Group,
Division of Gene Regulation and Expression,
School of Life Sciences, University of Dundee,
MSI/WTB Complex, Dow Street
Dundee DD1 5EH
Scotland, U.K.