error in tfm.c

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Tue Mar 4 20:55:06 UTC 2003

Hi!

I have already finished the FreeBSD EMBOSS-2.6.0 port. In
FreeBSD, documentation installed by third-parties goes into
/usr/local/share/doc, and thus I now have all EMBOSS docs in
/usr/local/share/doc/EMBOSS.

This is unlike the rest of the shared data installed by
EMBOSS, which goes in /usr/local/share/EMBOSS

Now, I'm seeing an error when running tfm:

		[fernan at pi] tfm emma
		Displays a program's help documentation manual

			 EMBOSS An error in tfm.c at line 63:
		The documentation for program 'emma' was not found.

This happens with any EMBOSS program, not just with emma.

This can be fixed by moving the docs to /usr/local/share/EMBOSS/doc.
(In my case I created a link:
cd /usr/local/share/EMBOSS/doc
ln -s ../doc/EMBOSS doc)

It appears then that tfm has a hard-coded reference to
PREFIX/share/EMBOSS/doc to look for docs. If i want to place
the docs somewhere else, where do I change this? I am no C
guru but it seems to me that line 63 is not the right place.
Are there other places/commands where this path is hard-coded?

Now to a more general issue: is it possible to add a
--docdir=DIR option to configure? Seems that there are
several options to fine tune installation dirs, but not this
one.

Of course, then tfm (and perhaps others) should honor
docdir.

Right now I have to change one line in several Makefile.in
files under EMBOSS-2.6.0/doc/ (using sed) to install docs in
a place other than PREFIX/share/EMBOSS/doc. Though it works,
it is certainly a hack (as the tfm error shows) and can be
certainly managed more wisely if it can be set at configure
time.

Any thoughts?

Fernan

--