wrapper for Perl scripts within EMBOSS

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jul 17 09:49:48 UTC 2003

Derek Gatherer wrote:
>  >time to update the list of EMBOSS wrappers on the web pages
>  >perhaps?
>
> I couldn't find this.  Is it somewhere in a corner of the website?

It's linked to the main page as "Jemboss and other Interfaces"

> After writing new code, I run 'make', which takes about 3 seconds.  But
> then when I run 'make install', a period of about 7 minutes is consumed
> by installation of the /share/EMBOSS/data and all the acd files etc,
> before it gets down to the business of installing the new bin.  Is there
> a way of turning this off, so that 'make install' just jumps to the bare
> necessary lib and bin installations?  acdc is fine after make of course,
> but that only tests that the acd file is okay.

install and libtool have some curious interactions. With shared
libraries turned off, I can do:

cd emboss
make myprogram
cp myprogram /where/emboss/binaries/live

With shared libraries on, libtool has to run scripts to do the install,
and timestamp checking becomes tricky.

Hope this helps. No doubt a more authoritative reply from our "make"
experts will follow.