EMBOSS+SwissProt+Prosite on public server, problem ???

Guy Bottu gbottu at black.vub.ac.be
Thu Feb 27 13:16:56 UTC 2003

from : Belgian EMBnet Node

	Dear colleagues,

This concerns EMBnet Nodes and others who have external users. The CIB is
getting concerned about access to SwissProt and Prosite by industrial users
who did not pay a licence to the CIB. You have perhaps just like us received
a note requesting to provide information about access by industrial users.
I would be happy to hear your opinion about this matter.

- providing information : If use is limited to registered users running programs
  under a UNIX user name and EMBOSS logging is on, it is easy to see who is
  using Prosite (those running patmatdb). I however see no (easy) way to check
  who is using SwissProt (we access SwissProt by getz for "Single"/"Query" and
  by direct reading of a fastA format db for "All" mode)
- limiting access : the note did not mention limiting access, although they
  might request it later. I think a possibility is to create a UNIX user
  group with all the academic and licenced industrial users and make SwissProt
  and Prosite only readable by this group.

  	Regards,
  	Guy Bottu