EMBOSS on Mac OS X

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 26 13:01:00 UTC 2003

Hi,

I am not sure if this has been discussed here before, but it is now very
easy to install EMBOSS on Mac OS X.

Through the 'Fink' project, a debian-like packaging tool a package for
EMBOSS 2.6.0 is available. The package was originally submitted by Ben
Hines, but now I am the 'maintainer' of it. I have also submitted
packages for emboss-kaptain and kaptain to provide a GUI (also works
with KDE) for EMBOSS on Mac OS X. Of course, all the credit goes to the
developers of Kaptain en EMBOSS-kaptns - I just 'ported' the packages
for Mac OS X.

If you are interested, please go to the Fink website (http://fink.sf.net),
and download and install Fink. Now you can install an any available package
(eg 'fink install emboss'). This will take care of downloading, compiling
and installing EMBOSS plus all the packages it needs. Be aware thet this
can take quite some time.

I would encourage all Mac OS X users to try this out, and see if it works
as expected.

thanks,

- Koen van der Drift.